Sunday, 30 January 2011

Lincoln City v Port Vale, 29 January 2011

Venue: Sincil Bank, Lincoln
Attendance: 3,370
Final score: 1-0

Lincoln’s phoenix-like rise from the ashes in the last week continued yesterday afternoon at a cold Sincil Bank.  The match was under threat after a freezing night, and a pitch inspection was called for 12 o’clock, which was subsequently delayed until 12.30 and then 2 o’clock.  Eventually the match was deemed playable, no doubt to the relief of the away fans who must have feared a wasted journey.

The Imps lineup was unchanged from the win away at Cheltenham in midweek, against a Vale side which had started the season in great form, but has fallen away since Christmas after replacing manager Micky Adams with Jim Gannon.

The first half was a cagey and rather dull affair, with Port Vale seemingly looking to play for a point.  Lincoln had the majority of the possession but with few real chances created by either side.  One good chance was denied to Delroy Facey when a ball through clipped a defender’s leg, yet the linesman’s flag still went up, leaving Facey frustrated to be denied his chance of going clean through on the keeper.

The halftime whistle went with the game scoreless, and the fans having few memorable moments to look back on.

The second half continued in the same vane as the first, with both teams scrapping but neither side able to carve out real chances.  It was beginning to look as if both teams would settle for a point, but any goal would be a winning one.

On about 70 minutes, a good Lincoln move created the best chance of the match so far, as Facey held the ball up for O’Keefe whose low drive smacked against the post.

The deciding goal finally came for City on 87 minutes, as result of the only inspired piece of attacking play in the match.  Good interplay between Jarrett, Howell and O’Keefe saw the ball provided for Grimes, who drilled a shot past the keeper and into the far top corner.  It was a winner that City had just about deserved, but one which hadn’t looked like coming.

The win provided the Imps’ survival prospects with another huge boost, as they have gone from 3 points adrift at the bottom to 19th place and 3 points clear of Hereford in 23rd in just a week.  Although there are still many matches to be played this season, the renewed confidence of the Imps continues to inspire belief that they can continue to pull away from the bottom.

24. Trevor Carson
16. Julian Kelly
4. Adam Watts
6. Danny Hone
23. Stephen Hunt
11. Scott Kerr
14. Josh O'Keefe
15. Luke Howell
9. Gavin Mccallum
18. Delroy Facey
29. Ashley Grimes

17. Albert Jarrett for McCallum (70)
10. Drewe Broughton for Facey (90+2)
28. Gavin Hoyte for Grimes (90+3)
5. Moses Swaibu
19. Jamie Clapham
27. Ben Hutchinson
1. Joe Anyon

1. Chris Martin
2. Adam Yates
5. John Mccombe
15. Lee Collins
14. Kris Taylor
16. Lewis Haldane
4. Anthony Griffith
19. Exodus Geohaghon
3. Robert Taylor
22. Gary Roberts
11. Justin Richards

6. Gareth Owen for K Taylor (H/T)
29. Tom Pope for Geohaghon (69)
7. Doug Loft for Haldane (79)
10. James O'shea
21. Ritchie Sutton
27. Kayleden Brown
24. Sam Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment